Identified Casualties: 63
Le Quesnoy is an old town in the Department of the Nord, 15 kilometres south-east of Valenciennes on the road to Le Cateau and Avesnes. The Extension adjoins that part of the Communal Cemetery where British graves are placed.
Wheelchair access with some difficulty.
For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our enquiries department on telephone number 01628 634221.
Le Quesnoy was captured by the New Zealand Division, without bombardment, on the 4th November, 1918; and a sculptured panel let into the town wall, linked with the Place D’Armes by a memorial avenue, recalls this exploit.
The Communal Cemetery was used and extended by the Germans during their long occupation of the town; but almost all the German graves have been removed to Frasnoy German Cemetery.
There are now over 60, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. All but two of whom were buried by the enemy.
|George Alexander Gibson||9283||Princess Louise’s Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders||04/09/1914|